Monday, July 6, 2015

Independence Day

I retired today from a work-a-day world I have inhabited for the 40+ years since I graduated from law school.

It was not an easy decision. I loved the work and the people I associated with every day. I worked for an excellent company that paid me well.

However, I have reached a point in my life that I am valuing time more than money. Independence more than incentive pay. Family more than the FMLA, the FASB or FICA.

The career path I followed led me into jobs that I never would have thought possible as I entered law school in 1972. Public accounting. Practicing as a CPA. Practicing as a tax attorney. Leading a tax revolt in Ohio in 1983 (truly one of the first Tea Party members). Corporate Director-Taxation for a Fortune 500 heavy manufacturing company. Investment Committee member for a multi-billion pension fund. Political consultant. Washington tax lobbyist. A series of Corporate Finance roles overseeing Treasury, Cash Management and Risk Management. A series of Human Resources roles for a Fortune 500 financial services company including management of Benefits, Compensation and HR Systems. Corporate Communications. Media Relations. Marketing and Branding. Advertising. Real Estate Facilities. Administrative Services.

I doubt there have been many who started out their career doing tax returns and ended it developing marketing and brand strategy, writing ad copy and producing tv commercials.

It has been interesting and it has been fun. There have been so many great memories and great people along the way.

The Second Act now begins.

BeeLine will continue. I started writing it several years ago with the idea that it could be something that could continue into retirement.

I plan to finish a book I started a few years ago on financial planning and I would like to develop a gig doing some public speaking as well. I have a well-developed speech for college students on the principles of financial planning and have several other speeches on the emerging field of neuroeconomics and how it influences human decision making in benefits, sales, marketing and branding.

I have also recently developed a motivational speech on "The Science of Success" that has gotten very favorable reviews in the several times I have presented it.

Several people have approached me about consulting projects and I may find myself considering some of these opportunities as well. I am a big believer in the power of keeping both your mind and body active as the best ingredients for a long and happy life.

Of course, golf, grandchildren and travel will also get some of my attention with my greater independence.

This year's goal on the golf course is to get within 10 shots of my age. If I can then hold that score over the next decade I can get to my longer term objective of shooting my age.

The grandchildren are all here this week so I am off to a great start on that score.

No big travel booked yet but travel planning begins in earnest tomorrow.

By the way, if my BeeLine posts slump in number over the next several months, you will know why.

So much to do. Only so many hours in the day.

Each day of my Independence promises to be hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment