Monday, October 10, 2022

Time to Travel?

Travel in the United States has recovered significantly since the depths of the pandemic.

For example, TSA passenger counts at airport checkpoints in the United States has rebounded to about 90% of the levels experienced in October, 2019.



Current airline travel levels are almost three times what they were two years ago.

It might be time to think about places that you would like to visit.

I recently saw this list of 34 places in the United States that a UK travel company has as "must-sees".



How many have you seen with your own eyes?

I would wager that most BeeLine readers have a lot more than 5.

I have been to 31 of the 34.

I have not gotten to Zion National Park, Mount Rushmore and the Mall of America.

Do any of you have more than 31?

Respond in the comments section with your totals.

It is a good list but here are 16 other places spread out around the country I would suggest adding to get the number to 50.

Cape Cod

Williamsburg, VA

Gettysburg

Mackinac Island, MI

Pebble Beach, CA

Sedona, AZ

Sun Valley, ID

Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel

Alaska

Natchez, MS

Bar Harbor, ME

San Diego Zoo

Sun Valley, ID

Dealey Plaza, Dallas

Jackson Hole, Wyoming

Key West

I have visited 14 of these 16 places. I still need to get to the last two on this list.

What have I missed? What should I have left off?

If you are more interested in foreign travel, Skyscanner also has a test to determine how much of a globetrotter you are.





Do you have more than 100 points?

That is the number of globetrotting points I got on this test.

How many of you are in the 100+ point area? Let me know in the comments section.

It is great to see travel picking up once again.

If only oil prices were not so high that travel was not so expensive.

This chart shows the consumer price index for airfares in the United States. The price of jet fuel and increased demand caused an enormous increase in the prices of air travel over the last year.



Gas prices at the pump have also risen about 25 cents per gallon over the last month.


Source: https://www.gasbuddy.com/charts


Do you think that there is anything that Joe could do to increase the supply of oil beyond raiding the Strategic Petroleum Reserve and doing this?



Happy travels!

7 comments:

  1. Scott: My wife and I have been to 49 of the fifty. We've never been to Sun Valley, ID. We've been to all of the 5 point countries and 2 of the 10 point countries and none of the 20 point countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very impressive. I assume you have been to all 50 states. I have yet to get to South Dakota.

      Delete
    2. We've been to all 50 states and most of Canada.

      Delete
  2. I’ve been to 25 of the 34 and 6 of your 16…..not much of a of a globetrotter…..too much to see in the good old USA to bother with any other country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 26 of the 34. 12 of the 16. Looks like Sun Valley, ID is on there twice. Only 30 points on international travel of those listed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good catch. You are entitled to one additional bonus point.

      Delete
  4. As an Australian I think I have done the USA list justice on 13. Your extra list only two but one was Key West so I am ahead of you on that one. I scored 220 on the world list

    ReplyDelete